Jeffery D. Collins
Jeff Collins is a shareholder and the Managing Director of Lynn Jackson. Jeff specializes in complex litigation involving real estate, shareholder, business and trust and probate disputes, as well as construction and personal injury law. In addition, Jeff assists several banking and financial institutions with an array of legal issues. He practices out of both the Rapid City and Spearfish offices, and is admitted to all state and federal courts in South Dakota.
Jeff grew up in Spearfish and graduated, cum laude, from Northern State University in 1993. He obtained a master’s degree in chemistry, with honors, from the University of Nebraska in 1996, and obtained his law degree, with honors, from the University of South Dakota in 1999. Since that time, Jeff has been in private practice, and has been with Lynn Jackson since 2006.
He is an AV-rated lawyer by Martindale Hubbell and was named to the list of Best Lawyers in America® in 2018 and 2019. Jeff is also a member of the South Dakota Trial Lawyers Association, the Pennington County Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
Jeff and his wife Kate have two children, Auston and Cinnamon, along with three grandchildren. In his spare time, Jeff enjoys camping, golfing and spending time in the beautiful Black Hills.
- Successfully represented many businesses, corporations and individuals with complex litigation involving business and commercial disputes.
- Successfully represented many clients in construction disputes.
- Assisted banks and other financial institutions with a myriad of legal issues.
- Represented clients with substantial assets in their divorce proceedings.
- Represented several large multi-national corporations with their legal needs in South Dakota.
- Regularly called on to act as local counsel for complex lawsuits in South Dakota.
- Honed his legal skills through years of wide-ranging litigation experience.
- Understands that that some cases require a light touch and the spirit of compromise to avoid long and expensive litigation for his clients, but also knows when it is time to take the gloves off and dig into the fight.
- University of South Dakota Law School, J.D. with Sterling Honors, 1999
- University of Nebraska, M.S., Chemistry with honors, 1996
- Northern State University, B.S. cum laude, 1993
- South Dakota Trial Lawyers Association
- Pennington County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Martindale-Hubbell’s “AV” Rated Lawyer
- Best Lawyers in America® (2018):
- Commercial Litigation
- Best Lawyers in America® (2019-2022):
- Commercial Litigation
- Litigation Insurance
- Best Lawyers in America® “Lawyer of the Year”, Rapid City:
- Litigation – Insurance (2022)
- Great Plains Super Lawyers ® (2021 and 2023)
- Business Litigation
- Sara Gentry – Paralegal
- State of South Dakota
- United States District Court for the District of South Dakota
- United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit