Tracye L. Sherrill
Tracye Sherrill specializes in workers’ compensation, insurance defense, personal injury, and employment law. She is admitted to practice in all state and federal courts in South Dakota.
Originally from Virginia, Tracye served her country for thirty years in the United States Navy, retiring in 2011 as a Command Master Chief (E-9). During her career in the Navy, Tracye served in Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm, Operation Iraqi Freedom, and Operation Enduring Freedom. Tracye obtained her law degree, with honors, from the University of South Dakota in 2015, and joined Lynn Jackson that same year.
Tracye has been named a Great Plains Rising Star® for workers’ compensation, insurance defense, employment and labor, and personal injury-defense, and has been a presenter at the South Dakota Workers’ Comp Summit. She is president of the Young Lawyers Committee and is a member of the South Dakota Defense Lawyers Association, and the South Dakota, Second Circuit, and American Bar Associations.
Tracye has two children and one granddaughter. In their free time, Tracye and her spouse Deb enjoy glamping, barbequing, and entertaining friends and family.
- Successfully obtained a verdict in favor of our client, the Empire Mall, based on the defense of assumption of the risk of a minor.
- Worked toward successful settlement of numerous workers’ compensation and personal injury claims.
- Handled a workers’ compensation death claim wherein the decedent’s beneficiaries were two minor children living in Guatemala with their biological mother. This matter required working with interpreters and the application of both Guatemalan and United States laws to assist in the appointment of the mother as the guardian for the children. We obtained a favorable settlement for the children and obtained approval of it from the South Dakota Department of Labor.
- University of Maryland University College, BS, Human Resources, 2011
- University of South Dakota School of Law, J.D., 2015
- South Dakota Defense Lawyer’s Association
- Defense Research Institute
- State Bar, Workers’ Compensation Committee
- State Bar, Veteran’s Committee
- Board of Directors for Dakota Plains Legal Services
- Great Plains Rising Star (2018-2020)
- Veteran’s Stand Down
- Teen Court, Volunteer Judge/Attorney