Miles F. Schumacher
Miles Schumacher specializes in organizing and structuring business entities, selling, purchasing, and reorganizing businesses, planning business successions, handling ongoing entity legal requirements, and providing legal opinions on commercial, finance, real estate, energy, and other transactions. Miles also provides a broad range of legal services to developers of renewable energy projects, particularly in the wind energy sector. He is admitted to practice law in all state and federal courts in South Dakota.
Miles grew up in Brookings, South Dakota, obtained his degree in speech and political science from South Dakota State University in 1976, and his law degree from the University of South Dakota in 1979. Upon graduation, Miles served as an assistant attorney general for the State of South Dakota until he entered into private practice in 1982. He joined Lynn Jackson in 2007.
Miles has been named to the list of Best Lawyers in America® for the past nine years in the areas of business organizations, corporate law, energy law, mergers and acquisitions, municipal law, and real estate. He is a member of the South Dakota, Second Circuit, and American Bar Associations. Miles is a former, long-time board member of the Sioux Falls Jazz & Blues Society, a member of the Sioux Falls Cosmopolitan Club, and volunteers as legal counsel for Crimestoppers of the Sioux Empire.
Miles plays guitar at church services at Southern Hills United Methodist, and he enjoys golfing, fishing, playing and listening to music, and following Jackrabbit sports. He and his wife Vickie have two grown sons.
- Acted as local counsel for developer of large commercial wind project and assisted with real estate and local landowner contract matters, county ordinance revision process and local permitting.
- Provided assistance with Public Utility Commission permitting and compliance.
- Defended appeals of local and state permits and other litigation against the project.
- Provided local counsel opinion to support long term financing transactions
- University of South Dakota School of Law, J.D., 1979
- South Dakota State University, B.A., Speech & Political Science, 1976
- South Dakota Bar Association
- Minnehaha County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Best Lawyers in America® (2011-2020):
- Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
- Corporate Law
- Energy Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Municipal Law
- Real Estate Law
- Former member of Board of Directors for Sioux Falls Jazz & Blues Society
- Southern Hills Methodist Church
- Sioux Falls Cosmopolitan Club
- Masonic Lodge
- Scottish Rite
- El Riad Shrine
- Speaker, 2010, South Dakota State Bar Continuing Legal Education Seminar
- “Is the Answer Blowing in the Wind? Wind Industry and Legal Issues So What is the Wind Agreement?”