Michael L. Luce
Mike Luce, who is now of counsel with Lynn Jackson, has a storied career as a trial attorney in South Dakota. His areas of expertise have included: commercial, personal injury, employment and discrimination, products liability, construction, professional liability, insurance and alternative dispute resolution. He is licensed to practice law in all state and federal courts in South Dakota.
Mike was born, raised, and educated in South Dakota, having obtained his bachelor’s degree, with honors, from Augustana University in 1974 and his law degree from the University of South Dakota in 1977. Mike began in private practice that same year, practicing in three Sioux Falls law firms, including Lynn Jackson, which he joined in 2015. He has amassed 35 years of experience, tried over 100 jury trials, and argued over 60 appeals.
Mike is an AV-rated lawyer and has been named to Chamber’s USA America’s Leading Business Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America®, Cambridge Who’s Who Among Executives and Professionals® “Honors Edition” and Martindale Hubbell’s Bar Register of Pre-Eminent Lawyers (Civil Litigation). He is a past Diplomat and President of the South Dakota Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates and has served as the Director of the South Dakota Trial Academy. He is a member of the South Dakota, Second Circuit, and American Bar Associations.
In his free time, Mike enjoys painting, writing, reading, and spending time with his family and beloved Bernese mountain dog Freddy.
- University of South Dakota, School of Law, 1977
- Augustana College Bachelor of Arts, 1974
- South Dakota Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- International Society of Barristers (2005-2019)
- Best Lawyers in America® (1999-2020)
- Appellate Practice
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Litigation – Construction
- Litigation – Insurance
- Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants
- Personal Injury Litigation-Plaintiffs
- Product Liability Litigation-Defendants
- Best Lawyers in America® “Lawyer of the Year”, Sioux Falls:
- Litigation-Contruction (2018)
- Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants (2014-2015)
- Product Liability Litigation (2012)
- Chamber’s USA America’s Leading business Lawyers
- Cambridge Who’s Who Among Executives and Professionals “Honors Edition”
- Martindale Hubbell’s Bar Register of Pre-Eminent Lawyers (Civil Litigation)
- Great Plains Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, Civil Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution (2007-2019)
- Abbie Langerock – Paralegal
- Mandy Schmitt – Legal Assistant
- State of South Dakota
- United States District Court for the District of South Dakota
- United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit