Erika S. Olson
Erika S. Olson focuses her practice on assisting individuals and businesses with legal issues in the areas of real estate, business planning and organization, water law, probate and estate planning, and guardianships. Erika is admitted to practice in all state and federal courts in South Dakota and Wyoming, as well as federal bankruptcy court.
Erika grew up in Rapid City and obtained both her bachelor’s degree and law degree, with honors, from the University of Wyoming in 1998 and 2003, respectively. Erika began her legal career with the Wyoming Attorney General’s Office as an Assistant Attorney General in the Water and Natural Resources Division. In 2006, she returned to the Black Hills to practice law with her father, James W. Olson, at Wilson, Olson & Nash, P.C., and joined Lynn Jackson in 2017.
Erika is a member of the American College of Mortgage Attorneys and West River Estate and Financial Planning Council, as well as the South Dakota, Pennington County, Wyoming, and American Bar Associations.
In her spare time, Erika plays bassoon with the Black Hills Symphony Orchestra and has served on its board. She enjoys exploring the Black Hills with her husband and her greyhound.
- Advised new business in selecting and creating new business entity to address concerns about buy-out among members.
- Advised multi-generational land-holding and development companies in modernizing and simplifying operations through updated articles of incorporation and bylaws, while working to limit liability and preparing for future owner succession.
- Advised family ranch business in creating a new business entity to provide for transition of land and ranch operation to next generation.
- Drafted master deed and owners’ association formation documents for multi-phase condominium project, including application to obtain approval of state governing body.
- Drafted easement agreements to resolve boundary disputes among neighboring property owners.
- Assisted clients in obtaining tax deeds following purchase of tax certificates to real estate, including legal action necessary for marketable title.
- University of Wyoming College of Law, J.D., with honors, 2003
- University of Wyoming, B.A., Music Performance, General, 1998
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys
- West River Estate and Financial Planning Council
- South Dakota Bar Association
- Wyoming Bar Association
- Black Hills Symphony Orchestra
- Yuliya Sullivan – Legal Assistant
- State of South Dakota
- State of Wyoming
- United States District Court for the District of South Dakota
- United States District Court for the District of Wyoming
- Federal Bankruptcy Court