Cheri S. Raymond
Cheri Raymond is an employment law attorney at Lynn Jackson, focusing on conducting external workplace investigations for employers. Cheri’s impartial investigations consider a broad range of issues such as discrimination, harassment, bullying, performance issues, violations of employer policies, and misuse of employer resources. Cheri is admitted to practice in all state and federal courts in South Dakota.
Cheri grew up in Pierre, South Dakota, and obtained both her bachelor’s and law degrees from the University of Nebraska. After serving as a judicial clerk in for the Second Circuit Judicial Court, Cheri was in private practice with another large Sioux Falls firm for ten years. She joined Lynn Jackson in 2015.
Cheri attended a week-long training for workplace investigations, earning her AWI certificate (AWI-CH). She is a member of the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) and its local chapter, SESHRM, as well as the South Dakota and Second Circuit Bar Associations. Cheri serves on the Board for the Helpline Center, and has a personal goal to help reduce the stigma surrounding mental health.
She and her husband Josh have two children, and they enjoy playing sports, traveling, and cheering on the Huskers.
- Conducted a workplace investigation for an employer where an employee allegedly accessed confidential payroll information.
- Achieved a substantial settlement on behalf of a health care employee against a large South Dakota health care employer based on the employee’s claims of sex discrimination and retaliation.
- Conducted a workplace investigation for an employer to review an employee’s internal risk assessment and to consider the handling and the results of the assessment.
- Successfully defended a local electric cooperative from claims of age discrimination and retaliation filed by a former employee.
- Conducted a workplace investigation for a school district where a student alleged sexual harassment by a teacher.
- Conducted a workplace investigation for an employer to consider an employee’s alleged misconduct and the employee’s supervisors failure to report the misconduct.
- Successfully mediated numerous cases in federal court for employers sued for age discrimination, Title VII violations, and/or ADA claims.
- Conducted a workplace investigation for an employer to review a supervising employee’s work performance and the overall efficiency and productivity of the supervisor’s department.
- Negotiated a substantial severance package for a long-term health care administrator employed by a large South Dakota health care employer based on the employee’s claims of age and sex discrimination.
- Conducted various workplace investigations for employers where an employee alleged sexual harassment and retaliation against a co-worker or supervisor.
- University of Nebraska College of Law, J.D., with High Distinction, 2003
- University of Nebraska, B.A., Psychology, with Highest Distinction, 2000
- Association of Workplace Investigations
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Sioux Empire Society for Human Resource Management (SESHRM)
- South Dakota State Bar Labor & Employment Law Committee
- South Dakota State Bar Civil Pattern Jury Instruction Committee (2011-2019)
- Association of Workplace Investigators, AWI-CH
- Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Star (2013-2018)
- Helpline Center Board of Directors, 2015-Present
- Independent Living Choices Board of Directors, 2008-2014
- Rebekah Mattern – Paralegal
- State of South Dakota
- United States District Court for the District of South Dakota
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit